Saturday, March 15, 2008

The Magician's Nephew ~ C.S. Lewis

This is the first book in The Chronicles of Narnia series, which my family has decided to read this month. It's the story of Digory and Polly, and their magical journeys to other lands, thanks to some rings that were given to them by Digory's Uncle Andrew (the magician referred to in the title of the book).

After following Polly into an unknown land, which they named the 'Wood between the Worlds', Digory sees numerous ponds of water. Using the rings to travel between worlds, Polly and Digory jump into one of the ponds and end up in Charn, a dying world, where Digory frees an evil witch. The witch follows Polly and Digory back to their world, and the two children plot to return the witch to her own land. Thinking they've once again found the pond that leads to Charn, they jump in, only to find themselves in a different world. They hear a lion singing, and trees, animals, and all manner of things begin to grow out of the ground. The "birth" of Narnia has occurred.

There were times when I really liked this book, and times when I got bored, but overall it had a good message and was fairly interesting. There were definitely allusions to the Creation, as well as Adam and Eve being tempted to eat the forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden. I liked the Christian overtones.

Books 2 through 7 continue the Narnia story. I'll blog about them as I finish them.

3.5/5

3 comments:

Julie said...

It's interesting, this is actually the second book in the series. Sort of like the Star Wars movies. It was fun for me to read The Lion first the read the Magicians Nephew. I loved finding out why the lamp post is in Narnia.

Lisa said...

The Magician's Nephew was actually written after all of the other Narnia books had been written, but C.S. Lewis meant for it to be the prequel to The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe. (At least that's what I've discovered in my research...)

Tina said...

I loved the lion the witch and the wardrobe stories when I was younger... then in college I took a HU class, and little did I know my professor was OBSESSED with CS Lewis. We must have read 6+ of his books... I have avoided him like the plague ever since. So sad...