Lucy and Edmund Pevensie, along with their bratty cousin Eustace, are transported through a painting into the land of Narnia. They find themselves onboard the Dawn Treader, King Caspian's boat. Caspian and his crew are on a voyage to discover what happened to the seven men sent to sea by Caspian's evil Uncle Miraz. The friends want to explore as much of the East as they can, and hope to sail as far as Aslan's country at the End of the World.This book takes the reader on quite an adventure. I found myself totally immersed in what was happening to Caspian, Lucy, Edmund, and Eustace. I think my favorite part in the book was when Eustace woke up to find that he had turned into a dragon. I loved the transformation he went through, not only physically, but spiritually and emotionally.
I also loved the very end of the book, when Edmund and Lucy are talking with the lion, Aslan. Aslan has just informed the two children that they will never be in Narnia again, and they are understandably upset. But what upsets them most of all is that they will never get to see Aslan again, or meet him in their own world. Aslan says "But you shall meet me, dear one. . . . There I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there."
As much as I enjoyed this book, though, I think it's time to take a break from the Chronicles of Narnia series. I'm all Narnia'd-out. So, I'm planning on reading One Tuesday Morning for my church book club, and then resuming the CoN books. A break will do me good.
4/5
1 comment:
Aslan's comments were my favorite part of the book, too!
Post a Comment