Shasta is the son of a poor fisherman who treats him like a slave. When he meets a talking horse named Breehy-hinny-brinny-hoohy-hah (aka Bree), the two decide to run away together. Along the way they come across Aravis and her horse Hwin, who are also fleeing to safer lands. The four decide to travel to Narnia together, but face many difficult challenges.When they arrive in the city of Tashbaan, Shasta is mistaken for a prince and "rescued" from the streets. He is taken to the palace of the Tisroc, who wants to marry Queen Susan of Narnia (who is visiting the palace with her brother), whether she wants to marry him or not. Thinking Shasta is really the prince of Archenland, Queen Susan and King Edmund have no qualms about discussing their plan to escape to Narnia in front of Shasta, who becomes privy to some very important information that will help him on his own journey.
This book started out strongly, and I was hoping that my interest would be held throughout. Alas, it wasn't. My interest started to wane in the middle, and while the book did get a tiny bit more interesting toward the end, it wasn't enough to make me really like The Horse and His Boy. I seem to be on a rollercoaster ride of sorts when it comes to the books in The Chronicles of Narnia series. Here's hoping that Prince Caspian is more to my liking...
3.5/5
1 comment:
Funny, I don't remember reading this book at all. I know I did, probably twice, but the story doesn't sound familiar at all. I must not have like it much either :)
Post a Comment