Thanks for the Memories opens with Irishwoman Joyce Conway laying on the floor after a fall, bleeding uncontrollably and quickly losing consciousness, knowing without a doubt that she has just miscarried the baby she's wanted for so long. Joyce's dad finds her (her husband is away, and doesn't seem too intent on rushing back to be at Joyce's side) and takes her to the hospital, where Joyce awakens with new memories and talents. Joyce discovers that she can speak Latin, as well as discuss art and architecture. Oh, and she's no longer a vegetarian, but craves red meat. And her memories are clearly not her own.Justin Hitchcock, an American who recently moved to London to be closer to his ex-wife and daughter, is a visiting professor of art and architecture at Trinity College in Dublin. While in Dublin on one of his lecture visits, he is persuaded to donate blood, something he's never done before, but which he does because he imagines saving someone's life -- and having that person be forever indebted to him. Shortly after his donation, Justin begins running into the same dark-haired woman nearly everywhere he goes. Joyce is that woman; she received Justin's blood . . . and as a result, his memories and abilities. With each meeting, Joyce and Justin can't deny the strange bond they feel for each other, even though they are veritable strangers.
Cecelia Ahern also wrote P.S. I Love You, which I read a couple of years ago. I didn't like P.S. I Love You all that much, so I was somewhat leery of reading another of her books. But when I saw this book (the cover caught my eye) at the library last Saturday, I picked it up and decided to give Ms. Ahern another try. I'm so glad I did. While some parts of the book were a bit slow -- and need I mention that the plot was pretty implausible? -- I enjoyed it. I needed to know what was going to happen to Joyce and Justin. And I loved Joyce's dad, who played a big role in the book. Overall, a good read.
4/5
No comments:
Post a Comment