Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Percy Jackson & the Olympians

I think I first heard about this series sometime last year from other book bloggers, but when Stephenie Meyer wrote a short blurb -- something like "you must read this series!" -- on her website, I knew I had to read the books. And I'm so glad I did!

At the beginning of the series, Perseus "Percy" Jackson is twelve years old, and has just discovered that he's a "half-blood" . . . half mortal, half Greek god. He is taken to Camp Half-Blood, and meets others like himself. Along with his best friend Grover, a satyr (half teenage boy, half goat), and his new friend Annabeth from camp, Percy goes on some crazy adventures, called "quests" in the book. Percy ages one year in each book, similar to Harry in the Harry Potter books. In fact, there are many similarites between the two series, but they are both very enjoyable in their own ways. [For summaries of the whole series, you can check the Percy Jackson & the Olympians Wikipedia site or any number of sites, but beware because you'll probably spoil some things for yourself, as I inadvertently just did! Shoot! Hopefully I'll forget what I just read before I get book 5 in my hands!]

I have to say that for me personally, the series started out a bit slow in book 1, The Lightning Thief, but has gotten better with each consecutive book. I'm actually glad I waited so long to read them because I was able to read the first four books in the series back-to-back. Book 5, The Last Olympian, is the final book in the series and came out in May. I've got a long wait until I get the book in my hands (I'm 124th in line at the library), but I am super excited to read it and see how everything ends!

Give this series a read sometime!

The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #1)The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)
The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #3 )The Battle of the Labyrinth (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #4)

Ratings:
The Lightning Thief: 3.5/5
The Sea of Monsters: 4/5
The Titan's Curse: 4.5/5
The Battle of the Labyrinth: 5/5

1 comment:

Beth said...

They sound good - I really want to read them, but I'm going to wait a while because I have a lot of other books I need to read first.