Friday, June 17, 2011

Die For Me by Amy Plum


Die for Me


My life had always been blissfully, wonderfully normal. But it only took one moment to change everything.

Suddenly, my sister, Georgia, and I were orphans. We put our lives into storage and moved to Paris to live with my grandparents. And I knew my shattered heart, my shattered life, would never feel normal again. Then I met Vincent.

Mysterious, sexy, and unnervingly charming, Vincent Delacroix appeared out of nowhere and swept me off my feet. Just like that, I was in danger of losing my heart all over again. But I was ready to let it happen.

Of course, nothing is ever that easy. Because Vincent is no normal human. He has a terrifying destiny, one that puts his life at risk every day. He also has enemies . . . immortal, murderous enemies who are determined to destroy him and all of his kind.

While I'm fighting to piece together the remnants of my life, can I risk putting my heart—as well as my life and my family's—in jeopardy for a chance at love? (blurb from inside cover)
I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, or even what it was really about.  Sometimes I think it's best to go in not knowing too much, and I think that worked for me with Die For Me.  Having now read the summary on Goodreads, I'm glad I hadn't read it before reading the book...boy, is it spoilery!

I found that I was immediately pulled in by Kate's voice, which made the first quarter of the book really interesting.  As she met Vincent, though, I felt like things really started slowing down.  I'd hoped that upon discovery of what Vincent is, my interest would increase again, but I never really felt like that happened until close to the end of the book.

Amy Plum created a unique world with unique characters.  I can honestly say that I've never read a book with characters quite like Vincent and his family before, and I liked that.  I came to really enjoy Vincent and his friends.  Their banter with Kate was engaging and funny.  The Parisian setting was also something I enjoyed.  I loved reading about all the Parisian sites, and I felt like a tourist of sorts, just as I had while reading Anna and the French Kiss.  Overall, I found Die For Me to be a pretty good read.

3.5/5

2 comments:

Kira said...

Well, glad it didn't stink. I can't go into a book not knowing what it is about. I HAVE to read a synopsis first.

Lisa said...

Well, I read the blurb inside the cover, but didn't read the actual Goodreads summary. I'm glad I didn't because then I would have known what Vincent was before even getting to that point in the book. It's more fun not knowing and trying to guess.