Monday, November 1, 2010

The Eternal Ones by Kirsten Miller

The Eternal Ones (Eternal Ones, #1)Though Haven Moore has lived in Snope City, Tennessee her entire life, she continues to have visions of a former life in New York City, when she was known as Constance Whitman.  She recalls being desperately in love with a young man named Ethan Evans, and relives dying in a fire over and over again.  Her visions have led her grandmother to believe that Haven is possessed by a demon, and Haven is virtually held prisoner in her grandmother's home.  When Haven sees footage of playboy Iain Morrow on TV, she suspects that he may be the Ethan of her dreams.  She flees to New York and runs into the infamous Iain.  She feels an instant connection to him.  Being with Iain again is amazing, but Haven can't help but wonder if the rumors about him murdering a rock star are true.  And if Iain really did murder a rock star, could he have murdered her in their previous life, back when he was Ethan and she was Constance?  She hopes the Ouroboros Society, a mysterious group dedicated to helping people discover their former lives, can help her before it's too late and her life cycle begins all over again.

I think the premise of The Eternal Ones is fascinating (I love the tagline What if love refused to die?) but I found myself bored for a lot of the book.  The story of Ethan/Iain and Constance/Haven was much too drawn out, and by the time I got to the meat of the story I found that I just didn't care anymore.  The characters themselves were interesting - especially Iain, and Haven's best friend, Beau (the resident homosexual character) - but it took too long for anything to happen.  Some of the characters - namely Haven's grandmother and the priest, Dr. Tidmore - were just plain sinister, and I don't believe that anyone would act the way they did towards Haven and her visions.  The mysterious 'gray men' who followed Haven around were creepy, too.  Mostly, though, Haven drove me crazy.  She was entirely too naive and gullible, believing just about everything she was told; she loved Iain one moment, only to turn around and distrust him the next moment.  Ugh.  As much as I wanted to love this book, I just didn't.

My rating: 2.5/5

No comments: