Saturday, November 29, 2008

Confessions of a Shopaholic - Sophie Kinsella

25-year-old Becky Bloomwood is a financial journalist for Successful Savings magazine. She lives in a beautiful flat in a trendy London neighborhood, wears designer clothes, and has successful friends. You'd think her life would be pretty fantastic, but she's flat broke and up to her ears in debt. And while she knows that her lifestyle must change, she just can't seem to give up her true passion . . . shopping.

Her path occasionally crosses with that of Luke Brandon, a gorgeous multimillionaire PR representative for a finance group that Successful Savings routinely features. Their meetings are awkward at best; Becky without fail finds a way to embarrass herself. But as Becky and Luke get to know each other better, Becky can't help but feel an attraction to the handsome Mr. Brandon.

I liked Becky; she was delightfully fun, and reading about her was very entertaining. While I couldn't really understand how she could do some of the things she did (like throw away credit card bills unopened because she couldn't bear to see the extent of her debt -- which, besides being just plain stupid, is a case of identity theft waiting to happen, if you ask me), she was just so likable that I had a hard time holding anything against her.

I enjoyed Confessions of a Shopaholic. Sophie Kinsella never fails to keep me entertained. Her books are surefire page-turners, very hard to put down. I've already placed library holds on the other 4 books in the series, and I'm anxious to see where Becky's relationship with dashing Luke Brandon goes (even though I pretty much already know from the titles of two other Shopaholic books, Shopaholic Ties the Knot and Shopaholic & Baby.) I liked Luke most of all, and I'm excited to read more about him in future books.

3.5/5

No comments: