Monday, August 11, 2008

When Twilight Burns - Colleen Gleason

Not only has Lilith, queen of the vampires, returned to London, but she's brought along a vampire who walks around, undeterred, in the sunlight. As Victoria attempts to uncover the identity of the daytime vampire, she must also wage the battle going on inside herself. After feeding from Sebastian's great-grandfather Beauregard, Victoria's blood has now been tainted with vampire blood -- and the vampire blood is threatening to take her over, turning her into a selfish, vindictive woman.

Victoria must also choose between the two men who have captured her heart: Sebastian Vioget and Maximilian Pesaro.

I've been waiting 6 months to read this book, knowing that the Sebastian, Victoria, Max love triangle would be resolved.

When I read the title of Chapter 22, I knew who Victoria would choose.

I have been a Max girl since book 1. My initial reading of book 3, The Bleeding Dusk, opened my eyes to Sebastian as a very real possibility for Victoria. I ended up liking him so much more than I had in the previous books. This is what I had to say after reading The Bleeding Dusk (review from 2-12-08): The first two books left me wanting Victoria to end up with Max, her fellow Venator. But I really started to like Sebastian in this book. (Actually, I reread the second book before reading this one, and I found myself rooting for Sebastian much more than I remembered the first time I read it). I am completely torn now as to who I'd choose for Victoria. Okay, maybe not 'completely'. I think a part of me still wants Max to be The One.

While rereading The Bleeding Dusk last week, I found myself split right down the middle, 50% of me wanting Max to win, 50% wanting Sebastian to. I wasn't sure who I wanted Victoria to end up with. And honestly, I think I'd have been happy with either man (unlike with Stephenie Meyer's Twilight books, when the ONLY option that would have satisfied me was Bella ending up with Edward. There was no other choice!) I admittedly found myself becoming more and more hopeful that Victoria might choose Sebastian while reading When Twilight Burns, though. His character kept growing on me. It was quite evident that he's totally in love with Victoria. But I couldn't give up on Max, either. He's a bit rough around the edges, but he's been through a lot and Victoria could be just the one to break down his walls.

So... am I happy with Victoria's choice? Yes, definitely. Do I feel sad and heartbroken for the man left behind? Of course I do. Colleen Gleason is such a great writer that I get caught up in the lives of her characters. She writes one heck of a love triangle, too. I felt the pain of the man who lost. So, yes, while I am happy with Victoria's choice, I feel very sad for the one she didn't choose.

Now I have to wait 7 months for the final book, As Shadows Fade, to be released. I think I'm going to go crazy with anticipation the entire time.

Beth, I hope I didn't give anything away with this review! I tried really hard not to type anything that would spoil it for you!

While I really liked this latest installment, I thought it was a little slow at times. For that reason, I can't give the book a 5. The end fight scene was incredible, though. Colleen has always done an amazing job with the big fight scenes at the end of each of her books. Each book has left me wanting more. And it was great to read chapter 22, when Victoria finally picks her man. I loved the way the scene played out. I had a smile on my face the entire time.

4.5/5

2 comments:

Beth said...

Good review, Lisa - you didn't give anything away! Now I'm really excited to read it - darn having to wait until late September!

Lisa said...

*Patting myself on the back*

Yay, I did a good job!! I'm glad I didn't spoil it for you!