The earth has been overtaken by aliens, called "Souls," who invade human bodies and gain control of their minds. Melanie Stryder, one of the few remaining humans on the run from the aliens, is captured and implanted with a Soul named Wanderer. Wanderer has previously lived in seven other host bodies, and is somewhat of a celebrity among her kind. She's been taught that invading a human body will be different than anything she's experienced before, but when she awakes in Melanie's body she immediately realizes that something is just not right. In fact, something is very wrong. Melanie is refusing to relinquish control of her mind to Wanderer. But Wanderer isn't giving up. She must somehow find a way to unlock Melanie's hidden secrets, while Melanie fights her every step of the way.When Melanie begins reliving memories of time spent with her boyfriend Jared and brother Jamie - both still in hiding - Wanderer finds herself longing for them, too. Because Wanderer herself feels such an intense yearning to be with Jared and Jamie, it isn't difficult for Melanie to convince Wanderer to search for them in the Arizona desert, although Melanie isn't even sure if they're still alive. After days spent searching the desert, out of water and on the brink of death, Wanderer and Melanie are found by Melanie's uncle Jeb. He and about thirty other humans have been hiding in underground caves. And Jamie and Jared are two of the human survivors. Wanderer and Melanie become allies as they find themselves up against this group of humans, who won't believe that Melanie is still alive and aware inside her body.
The Host is a good story. I was surprised at how different it is from the Twilight books, when I really shouldn't have been, knowing that this was Meyer's attempt at Science Fiction. I grudgingly admit that I found myself disinterested in the story at times, and sometimes felt that there was just too much detail given. Personally, I didn't care about Wanderer's lives on other planets, but apparently Stephenie Meyer felt it important enough to include detailed descriptions of those past lives. As I worked my way through this 600+ page book, though, I got caught up in the story. The focus on the many different relationships was great, as well as Wanderer's journey to fit in - and her efforts to escape the "Seeker" (an alien who seeks out the remaining humans on earth) who is intent on discovering why Melanie won't disappear. Wanderer develops love and compassion for the humans in the caves, and the humans come to love and respect her as well. So much so that they'll do anything in their power to protect her and keep her with them.
I thought the ending was going to disappoint me, but it didn't. I thought I had it all figured out, and I did to a degree, but I was still surprised at how everything was resolved.
Not as good as Twilight or Eclipse, and maybe not even New Moon for that matter, but still a page-turner. Stephenie Meyer can't crank the books out fast enough, as far as I'm concerned. She has easily become one of my favorite authors.
4/5
No comments:
Post a Comment