Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Helen of Troy ~ Margaret George

This epic novel tells the story of Helen of Sparta, later known as Helen of Troy. From her time as a young girl, denied access to the outside world because of her beauty, to her life after the fall of Troy and beyond, this book tells it all.

When Helen was a young girl of nine or ten, a Sybil pronounced a prophesy upon her: that she would be "the ruin of Asia, the ruin of Europe, and because of her a great war [would] be fought, and many Greeks [would] die." Not wanting the prophecy to come true, her parents forbid Helen to leave the confines of the palace. She was a beautiful child, and grew to be a beautiful young woman. Her face was hidden from everyone, and whispers that she was the most beautiful woman in the world were commonplace.

When Helen was fifteen, her father and mother, the king and queen of Sparta, announced that it was time for Helen to marry. Helen chose Menelaus, younger brother of the Mycenaean king, Agamemnon, who himself had married Helen's older sister Clytemnestra. Menelaus was a gentle, good man, and had accomplished a great feat to win Helen's hand. Helen fancied herself in love with Menelaus, but sadly felt no passion for him. After the birth of their daughter, Hermione, Helen pleaded with the goddess Aphrodite, asking the goddess to help her feel desire for Menelaus.

Aphrodite granted Helen's wish, or so Helen thought. Upon her return to the palace, however, Helen caught a glimpse of Paris, Prince of Troy, and fell madly and passionately in love with him. Helen says,"I could not keep my eyes from Paris. For the first time in perhaps my entire life, I felt desire course through me. I wanted to possess him, devour him, take him away in a chain and have him always at my command. At the same time I wanted to give him anything he desired; anything. And I wanted to be with him every instant. And so far we had not spoken a single private word." (p. 149)

Paris' young age worried Helen, for he was only sixteen years old to her twenty-five, but after a few short days with him, Helen left Menelaus and Hermione to flee to Troy with Paris. Her decision would eventually bring about the ruin of Troy.

I love that George chose to write the book in Helen's voice, from her point of view. That made the story really come alive for me. I love the movie "Troy" (the one with Brad Pitt as Achilles, Eric Bana as Hector, and Orlando Bloom as Paris), so I knew I'd love this book. It was truly fascinating, and I enjoyed the span of the book. I liked becoming better "acquainted" with Greek mythology, and the different characters that took part in the Trojan War.

I also adore the book cover. Isn't it gorgeous?

I definitely want to read more from Margaret George.

4.25/5
Thanks to my sister, Beth, for recommending this book!

1 comment:

Beth said...

I'm glad you liked it!!!